BSS0573 Research Methods in Business Practice
You must produce an individual Report addressing a business research problem. The report should contain the following elements:
1. Clearly defined business research problem
2. Brief Literature Review covering relevant concepts, models and/or theories
3. Identification of a dataset sourced from the Office of National Statistics (ONS) website that will enable
you to address your chosen business research problem
4. Quantitative analysis of the dataset using tools and techniques from the unit with the submission of the
spreadsheet along with your individual written Report
5. Visualisations of data drawn from your quantitative analysis (e.g. tables, charts, graphs)
6. Findings and conclusions drawn from the quantitative analysis of the dataset that addresses the business
The purpose of the individual report is to allow the student the opportunity to explore an area of the course in depth, and demonstrate evidence of independent critical thought and research. You will need to identify a business research problem and use datasets that are
Unit learning outcomes 1 Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
• Relevant to business research, the nature of literature review, and research methodology as well as their relevance to business practice.
2 Demonstrate the following skills and abilities
• In developing a purposeful literature review and analysing a complex data set.
freely provided by the Office of National Statistics (https://www.ons.gov.uk/) to provide a solution to the business research problem you have identified. Additional databases and data could be used by exception and only after consultation with the tutor.
When developing your own business research problem you should consult with your tutor with regards to their appropriateness. Please keep in mind that the focus of this assessment is not on the problem itself but the way you use quantitative data to find a solution to the business research problem.
You should maintain good references using the Harvard system. Incorrect referencing will be penalised. Do use visual aids in order to facilitate your data analysis and presentation.
An electronic copy of the Report along with the Excel spreadsheet containing the dataset and your quantitative analysis must be provided.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
• Show understanding of the context of the chosen topic
• Develop a literature review that uses at least 2-3 academic sources of information
• Include relevant data to address the topic and support your conclusions
• Produce an academic piece of work which is supported by evidence of research and UoB Harvard Referencing
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class onClick or tap to enter a date.make sure you have downloaded/printed out the
Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
Scheduled sessions deliver content related to the assessment, for example literature review and data analysis. The unit utilises a problem-based assignment. The knowledge that is delivered via lectures and seminars and aims to support the cognitive development of the students as they gain skills in dealing with the problem at hand.
The problem-based assessment should provide knowledge on how to go about dealing with a business issue and how to process data to respond to such a business issue (which is fundamentally similar to the dissertation process).